At Katie Miller’s blog Little things bring smiles we found this amazing tutorial on how to make your own felted flowers! We will definitely try to make some flower magic and we suggest you to do the same and show us the results (hopefully cute little felted roses).
Making Your Felt Flower: Rose Style
1. Gather all of your materials and set up a nice, clean work station.
2. Pick out your first piece of felt and your circular item. (size of item is up to
3. Trace your circular item onto your felt using a pen or a pencil.
Hint: It is a good idea to use ink of the same or similar color as the felt so it does not show up on your final felt flower. I used a darker ink on the tutorial so it is easier to see
4. Simply cut out your circle.
5. After your circle is cut, take your scissors and cut around and around your circle creating a spiral effect or a little pig’s tail! It will look like this:
6A. There are now 2 ways you can create your flower. The first way is to begin on the outer end (where you made your very first cut) and begin rolling the felt strip keeping one side aligned throughout the rolling process.
7. When you have finished rolling your felt spiral strip, simply add a little dab of hot glue on the end and stick it to create your rose:
Hint: When starting to roll with the outer edge, it will create a fuller, shorter (in height) rose.
6B. The other way of making your rose, is to begin your rolling process using the inner end (where you made your last cut). This will create a taller, thinner rose.
Notice the sides of this style rose do not stick out, rather they stand straight up.
It is up to you which step (6A or 6B) to use. I personally liked the way 6A appeared but it is fun to mix them up by completing both styles!
Making Your Felt Flower: Petal Style
This is the portion of the tutorial I put my own spin on this method of creating flowers. I enjoy the look of the Rose flower, but I wanted to make it look more realistic–it needed petals! After pondering for a few minutes, I found a solution!
Steps 1-3 are same as above tutorial.
4. When your circle is traced completely, take your pen or pencil and draw petals around your circle using the edge you drew a guide.
5. After your petals are drawn, begin cutting! This part is a bit tedious but the slower you go, the better it looks
6. Using your scissors, cut around your circle creating a spiral (or like I said earlier, a little pig’s tail.)
7. I chose to use method 6A from above to roll my flower with petals.
8. Continue rolling until there are no longer any petals on your felt spiral strip.
9. Simply snip off the extra felt and place it aside. Hot glue your end onto the body of the flower.
10. With the leftover felt spiral strip, simply roll it up and hot glue your end to create a rose! It’s magic–two felt flowers from one felt circle.
Two completely different looks! Both equally fabulous
Hint: Your Felt Flowers with Petals can appear two different ways, just like your Rose flowers. Using step 6A from the Rose tutorial, it will appear like so:
Hint: Using step 6B from the Rose flower tutorial, it will appear like this:
It will resemble a star formation and will be taller and thinner.
Are you ready for even more options? Following the Felt Flower with Petals tutorial, instead of drawing and cutting rounded petals, change it up–draw little triangles to create this look:
Enjoy your beautiful Felt Flowers!
Now that your have your flowers made–GET CREATIVE! I decided to hot glue my flowers onto Alligator Clips:
And Pins (with a flat edge):
If you are still reading this post, I thank you. It is long, but I hope you are being motivated by these different varieties of felt flowers!